The Challenges of Drawing Babies
Babies are more challenging to draw than adults. I admit that I was apprehensive about the project.
Here are a few tips I found helpful on drawing baby faces:
- Work from a clear picture, squirmy babies don’t make good live models
- Babies are soft and rounded in their features
- The eyes are bigger than adult.
- Shadows need to be soft and light; build up color slowly.
- The eyebrows start about half way down the face.
- Half of the bottom half is where the nose belongs.
- Eyelashes are a particular challenge. Use a sharp pencil, place it on the eyelid and flick it. This makes the ends tapered.
- Eyes are seldom one solid color so make lighter areas.
- Try not to draw a solid line around the mouth but carefully shade in the lips and like eyes make sure to have highlights.
It was a bit daunting to try to do justice to my beautiful granddaughter and although I can see ways to improve the drawing I’m happy with the outcome. Next time I won’t be so intimidated.